Thursday, April 3, 2008

Creating Herbal Capsules

I have been researching herbs specific to harmonizing the energies of diabetes, high cholesterol, and peripheral circulation. Fortunately, I have a rather hearty herb reference library at home here, as well as the internet to refer to for information and guidance.

I've come to understand the three-point herb formula concept and word-processed a form to employ it. I created a formula with

1-80% feature herb/s: Gymnema, Ashwagandha, Schisandra, Devil's Claw
2-10% supporting herbs: Burdock Root, Fenugreek, Stevia
3-10%stimulating herbs: Cinnamon, Pau D'Arco.

The herbs I used have multiple uses and the following notes are greatly simplified to my specific needs. I had thought to use Astragalus in the original formula idea but research indicated that it would not be good for someone with Lupus, so I have used Ashwagandha instead. Please, always do extensive research on your own behalf. Here is a very brief look at the herbs in this formula:

Gymnema sylvestre stabilizes the blood sugar, stops sugar cravings, and lowers high cholesterol
Ashwagandha Withania somnifera is an adaptogen that helps with diabetes and stress
Schisandra chinensis is indicated for diabetes, is an adaptogen so helps with stress, improves eyesight, metabolizes toxins and cleanses the blood and liver
Devil's Claw Harpagophytum procumbens is good for diabetes, joint pain, and high cholesterol
Burdock Root Arcticum lappa stimulates the release of waste from cells, diabetes, yeast issues
Fenugreek Trigonella foenum-graecum stabilizes the blood sugar, and lowers high cholesterol
Stevia rebaudiana lowers blood sugar, stabilizes blood pressure, useful in weight-loss
Cinnamon Cinnamomum zeylanicum stabilizes blood sugar, improves peripheral circulation
Pau D'Arco Tabebuia impetiginosa indicated for candida, is an antifungal, helpful in lupus

I have literally put months of research into this formula. When my notes were done, I ordered the powdered herbs through a reputable source: Mountain Rose Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/








I carefully measured out each one onto a plate. They all have their own distinct aroma. I decided to taste each one.
Shown below, starting from the back left, are: Gymnema ( deep green; tastes bitter); Devil's Claw (tan; tastes bitter); Schisandra (deep rust; tastes salty); Ashwagandha (light tan; tastes pungent); to the left of that is Fenugreek, which is light yellow and tastes spicy; at the front are: Burdock Root (tan and brown granules; taste bitter); Pau D'Arco (brown; tastes pungent); Stevia (medium green; very sweet); and Cinnamon, which is reddy-brown and tastes spicy.
















I mixed the herbs together in a bowl and filled the capsules.

















I put a tsp. into a teabag to see if I might like the blend that way. I also plan to make a tincture to try, too.

















I created my label, calling this one "Sweet Enough Formula"
















The front of the label says:
Sweet Enough Formula
124 - 500 mg capsules

The left side panel at the top says:
Supplement Facts
Daily allotment: 4 caps
Servings per bottle: 31

and under that is:

Daily values not established for contents
Gymnema sylvestre 40%
Withania somnifera 15%
Schisandra chinensis 15%
Harpagophytum procumbens 10%
Arcticum lappa 5%
Tabebuia impetiginosa 5%
Cinnamomum zeylanicum 5%
Trigonella foenum-graecum 3%
Stevia rebaudiana 2%
Other: quick dissolve Vegan gel cap

on the right panel, it says:
Keep in a cool dark place.
Take one capsule at breakfast, one at lunch, and two at supper, 30 minutes before eating.
Do not use with other diabetes medications.
Consult your physician before starting this or any other dietary supplement.

So, the great experiment is on and I'm sure it will unfold as I go along. I may make multiple changes to this formula as I experience how it operates in my body. With my doctor's blessing, I am off my meds for this week and will take my blood first thing in the morning, before each meal and two hours after, and at bedtime to see what the effect, if any, I receive from this herbal supplement.

Here is how the math plays out and all herbs are well within the daily/weekly limits:

Herb used/ % of whole /mg per each capsule /per 4 caps

Gymnema sylvestre 40% 200 mg 800 mg
Withania somnifera 15% 75 mg 300 mg
Schisandra chinensis 15% 75 mg 300 mg
Harpagophytum procumbens 10% 50 mg 200 mg
Arcticum lappa 5% 25 mg 100 mg
Tabebuia impetiginosa 5% 25 mg 100 mg
Cinnamomum zeylanicum 5% 25 mg 100 mg
Trigonella foenum-graecum 3% 15 mg 60 mg
Stevia rebaudiana 2% 10 mg 40 mg

Obviously, diet, exercise, water intake, and stress-reduction and play a huge role in the harmonizing of the energies of diabetes. I already have these issues in place and will continue on in much the same vein as I have with a few changes here and there. I'll let you know how it goes. Be well; be at peace.

Warmly,
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment