Friday, March 28, 2008

Medicinal Herb Garden Part II



These last few weeks, I have been pouring love all over these wonderful beings. They have been daily misted and weekly soaked. I have shifted the trays around so that they receive even light. Their domes have been off for a while and on for a while. I've changed the temperature in the room from very warm through very cool (50F).

Here is a photo taken this morning. Note the tall and lanky dwarf nasturtium in the front. He is being re-potted today as are many of them.


Some of the herbs have come up and some have not. This is a list of what has happened:

3.5 Weeks
These have come up:
Ashwagandha
Betony -very sparse
Catnip -very sparse
English Daisy
Dusty Miller
Heartsease
Marshmallow
Motherwort -very sparse

These have not come up, at all:
Wild Indigo
Lemon Balm
Meadowsweet
Passionflower

3 Weeks
These have come up:
French Dandelion
California Poppy
English Lavender
German Chamomile
Dwarf Nasturtium
Sheep Sorrel
Stevia
White Yarrow
Zhi Mu
Zuta Lavana

These have not come up, at all:
Greater Plantain
Senna
Skullcap
Soapwort
Speedwell
Sweet Violet

It's always up to nature, which plants grow well from seed in these conditions and which ones won't. I have decided to go ahead and order live plants from Richters Herbs, which will be here between May 15 to June 15, to complete my herb garden, as follows:

Betony
Goldenseal
Gotu Kola
Meadowsweet
Passionflower
Skullcap
Soapwort
Speedwell
Blue Vervain

I have also ordered several plants that will deter critters (cats, dogs, rabbits) from eating my herbs. Oddly, the name of it is the "Piss Off Plant". I've also order a couple of "Vicks Plants" for inside my home. They are just what they sound like - plants that can be processed for respiratory conditions.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my experience so far.

I've also have my usual culinary herbs planted:

Basil
Calendula
La Lot
Lemon Balm
Marjorum
Rosemary
Sage
St Johns Wort

A friend of mine named Elizabeth gave me several plants, as well. It's going to be a huge garden this year. I'll keep you posted on the progess.

No comments:

Post a Comment